Husky Nutmeg's Word Gallery

Sunday, December 11, 2005

In Search of Peace

Today on the way home from the movies, she says ‘when I have children I’ll let them do what they want’.

And what would that be? I ask.

Mip - They could go to the movies every day.

Me - Really. What about school?

Mip - Yeah, they’d go to school every day. One day I’ll take them to the park. Another day to the movies…

Me - Hmm. A bit like your life now.

Glad I’m keeping up to the standard.

Sometimes, I get little notes from my disgruntled, yet prolific child.

In tears, she tells me that there will be no kisses before dinner because I’m a ‘mean Mummy’. In these times, I find it almost impossible to be cross with her – I just want to run and get the camera. Or scan her drawings of hearts broken in half.

Fast forward twenty or so years – at least she’ll have documentary evidence for the counselor’s office.

We went to see the preview of Disney’s The Chronicles of Narnia - The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe. It’s due to open in Australia on Boxing Day and expectations are quite high for its success, given its warm reception in New Zealand and the US.

Polly Toynbee makes some valid points: the age article

If I stand back and accept the movie as a piece of entertainment, it is a relatively uncomplicated story which is visually rich while disturbing in its portrayal of an aesthetic good versus an ugly evil.

The music will have me looking for the soundtrack.

As a parent, I hope it gets a PG rating. My daughter is beyond her years in some ways – she has a great way of accepting that ‘everything will be fine in the end’ if I am there to assure her of that fact. Having said that, I don’t appreciate any attempt to justify violence no matter how simple a tale is.

I’m concerned about some of the underlying messages that a child might bring home. Early in the piece, the littlest child trusts a stranger with a second agenda who turns out to be one of the ‘good guys’.

On something completely different, I love the days when the articles are educational: The word from the world's oldest person What? No advice on diet or World Peace?

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home