Husky Nutmeg's Word Gallery

Sunday, April 10, 2005

Happy Birthday David

I went to my mate David's 50th birthday this weekend. What a great night. It was held at David's in the country. In a huge garage - the 'big shed' - but is it a garage? It's the size of a barn I guess. Reuniting with people whose teenage kids are now adults and whose little kids are now teenagers. Good people and a lot of them. And we all love the guy.

I learned a few things:
A. Karaoke sounds much better when you join in.
B. Red wine doesn't taste as bad as I thought. Might have something to do with the amount of white that had passed through my lips previously.
C. Some of the old photos of David which I was given to produce a DVD were not of David. His mother pointed out a few of them were 'the neighbours kids'!

In the morning, I silently congratulated myself on not losing it when my daughter crowed her regular, ‘The sun is up, the sun is up!’

We all met back the big shed, showing different levels of tolerance to our different levels of lack of sleep. Some of us were very throaty. Not the kind of throaty that follows singing, but rather the kind that follows a good football match. Most of us were quiet and appreciative of the kind natured bodies who were making breakfast on the barbie.

I look at my daughter, sparkly and ready for action no matter what time it is. She’s smiling at me with her signature vegemite mark on the side of her mouth. Maybe we could market a body lotion. “The essence of youth – a teaspoon of glitter and one dollop of vegemite in every jar”.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home