Husky Nutmeg's Word Gallery

Saturday, March 19, 2005

Dagginess with No Option of Escape

The whole idea of this site was to enforce some kind of discipline into my writing life so that every day I write something on a creative level – good or bad – to keep my creativity moving.

Then fear set in. I started wishing I wasn’t so dull and wished I could be as awesomely cool as some of those blogsters who I respect for the way they say cool things in the coolest of ways. And there you have it. A perfect example. The word ‘cool’ is probably daggy now. In fact ‘daggy’ is probably ‘daggy’ now. I’ll bet ‘cool’ isn’t anything more than ‘chilly’ in today’s definition.

It’s not that I’m that old really. Thirty-seven isn’t ancient but at some stage I hooked into Gold 104 and took it ‘easy like Sunday morning’ while my son has been listening to kids singing (and that’s debatable) words that make me want to run for the soap and water and make angry sounds which are suspiciously similar to my own mother’s angry sounds when I was my son’s age.

I look over at my son who is in the prime of his teenage ‘grunting stage’ (thank you Paul for that very apt assessment of what has become of the rosy cheeked, exuberant children we once had).

“How would you say ‘cool’?” I ask him.

Now my daughter, all of four years old, will happily adopt any new terminology that takes her fancy. ‘No options’ is her latest, taken on the advice of her cousin (Thanks Aaron).

I woke up on Sunday morning, not to her usual rooster like cry of “The sun is up! The sun is up!” (mind you, her rendition of the Australian National Anthem proved very entertaining one early morning, if not a little disturbing at the time). No, I woke up to “Ba taught me a new word, ‘no options’ – it means (with complete drama in her voice and her hand resting on the side of her mouth) ‘NO CHOICE’!”

Oh the pictures of my future in a nursing home of ‘her choice’ flooded my mind after those first five seconds of, “Huh, where am I?”

But I apologise. I digress. My son thought for a bit, smiles and declares like he’s Christopher Columbus, “I would say… ‘Wicked’. That’s the word I use. But that’s in MY world. But everyone says it different[ly].” Sorry I had to put in the ‘ly’ – it’s an anal thing.

So getting back to the original, original point I was making. I’m going to use this site for its intended use so be warned, my mind ticks in very distorted ways and unapologetic dagginess is just one of its many products.

1 Comments:

  • I hear you my friend. I would have to add however that your children are most fortunate to have a parent who is a nurse rather than one who needs one.

    Yours at a distance
    Very husky (have a cold sound like Rod Stewart) Nutmeg.

    By Blogger Husky Nutmeg, at 11:19 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home